The school holidays are coming and so is the Summer Reading Challenge! This nationwide initiative, which asks 4-11 year olds to borrow and read any six library books over the summer, begins on Saturday 14th July and is organised by The Reading Agency. This year’s theme is inspired by the 80th anniversary of the Beano. To take part in Mischief Makers, all children need to do is sign up at the library and claim a colourful collector’s map of Beanotown to keep a record of their Summer Reading Challenge journey. The final prize: a certificate and other goodies.
Along the way they’ll explore the map to find a hidden treasure chest full of pranks and become ultimate mischief makers! As children read their books, they’ll be given special stickers, and by adding them to their map, young readers will help Dennis, Gnasher and friends solve clues and discover the treasure, having lots of fun and adventures as they go.
We’ve planned a whole programme of exciting events and activities for children and families over the holidays. These include:
- two science shows:
- The Science Shack with ‘Fantastic Fundamentals: A Journey to Space’
- Mad Science: Mischief Makers Show
- three themed craft workshops
- a workshop for families to explore their family history together
- two storytime/workshop sessions with local author Mel Woodend
- a talk and workshop from local cartoonist Geoff Tristram
- and our popular Tots Time continues each Friday for our littlest customers
There’ll also be a range of activities to enjoy every time you pop into the library during normal opening hours, including puzzles, colouring sheets, a treasure hunt, bookmarks to make, book reviews to write, and wordsearches. Come along and make mischief!
For full details of dates, times and prices please pop into the library for a special leaflet or phone 01384 872348. For many of the events a reservation is essential and early booking is recommended.